Monday, December 9, 2013

Bobby - TP 11

Mrs. Kim to the rescue! My tutees cancelled on me yet again today! I told Mrs. Kim during our meeting today, and she really brought the hammer down...y'all should've seen her. She called up Jun's mom (Jun is my child tutee) and asked if I could tutor Jun twice more to complete my TP hours. She obliged, and we agreed to meet today and tomorrow. I'm really glad this worked out, because I actually prefer working with Jun to the CIES students. Not only is he (read: his mother) more reliable, but it is just a more enjoyable experience for me.

For the first half of our session, Jun wanted to study a chapter in his science textbook. It was on properties of matter, a subject he's already studied before. He read through a few pages, and I stopped him along the way to ask him comprehension questions. It's an easy-to-read textbook, so the vocabulary is not difficult, but the subject material might be a little foreign to him, so I need to ask him such questions. We went over states and properties of matter, the five senses, the many meanings of "sink", and other fun things!

After that, Jun read from a chapter book in the Captain Underpants series. I'd never read any of these as a child, but I thought it was actually very funny and cleverly written. It is definitely written for boys...lots of toilet humor, fart talk, and practical jokes. Quite silly. Jun loved it of course. Once again, I stressed to him the importance of italics in writing and how it can impact the text. The book also introduced new vocabulary for young readers; Jun had some trouble pronouncing and defining words such as behaviorally, adjustment, chaos, and mischievous. I had him copy these words down, and I would then explain what they meant and provide synonyms.

No comments:

Post a Comment