Monday, December 16, 2013

Moses Tutoring #2


In my first session with Rafael, we discussed his strengths and weaknesses in English.  He said that he felt uncomfortable with the American style of writing papers and that his grades had been low.  As the conversation continued, I found that he had an essay coming up and that he had not yet started on it.  We discussed how an essay should be written and what form it should take.  He told me that the topic of the essay would be “why do I love my home country.”  We settled on 3 more sessions.  One to work on the outline, one to work on his rough draft, and one to go over the paper for submission.  As an example, I gave him a topic of comparing his favorite car to another car.  We wrote an outline together, and then fleshed it out into the rough draft.  After we finished, he said that he had not felt that he needed a tutor beforehand, but after we finished, he had gleaned a lot of useful information and was excited for the upcoming sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment