Sunday, December 8, 2013

David_TP#11

So with this being most likely the last meeting I was going to have with these guys, I decided to let them do whatever they wanted to work on. Before I had done the things they had said they needed, but now if they had any questions about anything, we could go over it. We started talking about how normal Americans act when buying something. One of the students said he felt like a lot of the people checking him out at different places didn't like him. We talked about it, and we found out that he was misunderstanding something the people were saying. He was having trouble with the word “OK.” He was thinking of the word only as it is use in the context of “sure,” or “yes.” I explained that it can also be used in a way like “alright.” They would ask him, “Did you find everything OK?” He would respond with the wrong phrase, and they would get confused. He misunderstood that for dislike. We talked about things like that and other things. Even while we were talking, I was taking notes on grammar errors. At the end, we went over everything and I did the usual modeling and comprehension checking. This lesson mixed real life situations with grammar lessons, and I really like it when I can do that. I like doing anything that can make speaking English outside of class easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment