Monday, December 16, 2013

Moses Tutoring #11


The first tutoring session that I had with James was interesting for me because he was the first student that I had that was at a foundation level.  I don’t think that he even had enough English knowledge to hold a short conversation.  I tried to administer a few work sheet quizzes but I think that the level of the worksheets was too advanced.  What we decided to do was start with a short vocabulary list of 20 words each session, all of which were simple present tense that would allow him to hold conversations.  The first vocabulary list was groceries, bathroom, want, need, library, supermarket, convenience store, bus stop, direction, restaurant, building, clerk, program, theater, department store, bakery, pharmacy, repair (fix), direction, cost.  I gave him the list and Eric listed the French equivalents for James to study.  We also discussed (haltingly) how long he planned to be in the U.S. and his study plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment