Sunday, December 8, 2013

David_TP#10

I had a small group today. Only one of the students showed up, but in a way it worked out nicely. This guy was probably on the lower end of the group, and even though all I can do it teach to the middle, I feel that sometimes he misses things. He says that he gets it, but I think it might be because he doesn't want to slow things up. I asked him if there was something he wanted to work on, and he said he would like to talk some more, and work on casual conversation. We started talking about the holidays, and he had a few questions about how things are done here in the states. We compared how things are done, and how society treats this season. I didn't do any error correcting during our conversation. I didn't want to mess with the flow of a natural conversation. If the opportunity arose, I would rephrase what he said using the correct forms, but for the most part, I just made notes. I didn't want to write down everything wrong he said. I just stuck with the things he got wrong at least two or more times. There were a lot of things he would mess up on only because he was trying to go fast, but after I slowed things down, he got more accurate, and use the same structure again, but this time go the grammar correct. Towards the end of our time, I started with the error correcting. I could ask him about the word or grammar point he had used incorrectly, and them if he still didn't understand, we would talk about it, and I would write three or four examples for him, and keep at it until he was able to come back and use it again correctly. I was sure to write my notes on two pages, one for me and the other for him. With only one of them there, I was able to more accurately make notes for him, and then give him that page after the fact. It went well, and I think it will help him keep up when they all are there.

No comments:

Post a Comment