Monday, December 16, 2013

Moses Tutoring #10


For the next session with Eric, I had to do quite a bit of prep work.  I put together a rather long list of common idioms and colloquialisms from several sources.  If anyone would like a copy of this, I would be happy to supply it.  I met him at his apartment and after exchanging pleasantries, we began to work on the list.  The first this I had him do was go through the list and write down what he though each one meant.  We then went through the list together and I corrected his mistakes with him.  He had done a really good job and was probably 60-75% correct on what each idiom meant.  I think that his day job had really helped him pick up many of these already.  After we corrected his work, I then asked him to use each of the idioms in a sentence.  His took a little more time, because although he had a good understanding of most of the meanings, usage and situational usage was a grayer area.  We talked about each one and proper usage, but also discussed which were usable in ordinary conversation, extremely casual conversation and formal or business conversation.  This was a much more difficult lesson than I expected and too a lot more effort on my part.  In the end, it was very rewarding to both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment