Sunday, December 1, 2013

Emily_TP Child_6

Monday was my last time tutoring Jun. This has been a good experience overall. First, while snacking on Korean-style sushi and blueberries, I helped him with a worksheet that he had to do for homework. It featured pilgrims doing different things, and Jun had to write sentences in their speech bubbles depicting what they are saying. Jun needed help mostly because he was not sure what certain things in the pictures were called. I had to explain what a rolling pin was. After talking about what was happening throughout the comic, he wrote down some good sentences. Next, Jun needed to read another book for an AR test that he had the next day. It was a sequel to the book that we read the last time we tutored. We continued with our routine of me asking him comprehension questions periodically. Jun tended to read too fast and brush over punctuation, so I reminded him to slow down. I modeled how to do it and made him read certain sentences over again when he did this because I found that he was not retaining the information when he read too fast. He started getting the hang of it and began answering comprehension questions confidently and correctly. Jun’s mom was very nice when I left and told me to let her know if I need anything in the future such as a letter of recommendation. She urged Jun to give me a hug goodbye, which he did shyly. I’ll miss him!

No comments:

Post a Comment