Monday, December 9, 2013

Paul CP #6

I ended up going with Marcos to Chik-Fil-A for lunch the same day I went to observe a class. We both ate the exact same meal! His ordering has improved greatly since the first time I met up with him. Anyways, while eating there, we ended up discussing a culture difference in which something was lost in translation! He also wants to be an engineer. When we were talking about math, he said that his mind is cold. And I was really confused. I was like, your mind is cold? So I asked him to explain it more until I understood that he meant he has been so out of practice with math that it is not as easy at first sight. So, I explained to him the English phrase, "I'm a little rusty" or "I'm a little bit rusty on..." instead of saying cold. That being said, I had to explain to him what rusty ACTUALLY means. We ended up figuring it out in the end though! After that, I explained to him a similar incident that happened to me when I was speaking to some Spaniards. He understood perfectly well since his native language is Spanish. . It turns out, you cannot say "we're on the same page" in a figurative sense in Spanish!

No comments:

Post a Comment