Monday, December 9, 2013

Nicole TP12 (culture lesson)

    On Thursday I held my culture lesson that focused on Greek life at Florida State University. I figured this topic would be great as it applies to many of teh CIES students' daily lives. As many of them walk thorugh campus everyday they see sorority/fraternity flyers, activities, and houses and I wanted them to be more aware of their surroundings in this realm. I explained that these organizations are a group of people united in philanthropy, and in beliefs. (not religious beliefs neccessarily) The beliefs tah these groups are united in are classified as values or morals, we talked about what these words meant, and then I asked them to split up into groups to go over teh different levels of vocabulary. We then addressed values, everyone picked their own, shared it with the class, and explained it's importance in their life. I then split the class into groups, used stones made with questions used during the recruitment of new members in Greek life for interviews. The students anwsers were t reflect teh value they chose earlier. After some discussion time, teacher observation, students were called upon to share and errors were corrected. i let teh students keep their stones so taht they could use them on their other friends. This lesson was so eye opening, and gave me great insight into what a real classroom might be like. I was so excited that so many students wanted to attend, I even had to turn some away unfortunately. My tutee Ahmed came in with all his Kuwaiti friends knowing that it was important to me, my conversation partner Isa brought a couple friends, and some of the students from the class I had observed the day before also attended, I was so very grateful. Truly a wonderful experiance!
(Ahmed and I post lesson)

No comments:

Post a Comment