Monday, December 9, 2013

Paul TP P.J. #5

P.J. and I started off with some class homework he had from school. He had a vocabulary sheet along with a story called "House Catches Fire." I decided to go over each of the vocabulary words first, and then read the story with him. After we read that story, he had to answer some comprehension questions. I noticed that his comprehension has improved since our first tutoring session. He knew some of the answers off the top of his head! Towards the end though, we did go back to the story to look over some of the answers.
In math, we only went over a couple problems. One of them was a little bit tricky, but I was able to clear up the confusion by drawing it out for him.
A girl "puts 5 flowers in each vase. If she has 3 vases, how many flowers did she use?" When P.J. answered 20, I had to inquire why. He had the right idea, but he added an extra five because he thought she had 5 flowers originally, and then added 5 flowers for each vase. After I cleared it up, he said he understood!

No comments:

Post a Comment