Monday, December 2, 2013

Bobby - TP_CIES 4

As crunch time rolls around and Hell Week sets in, these last few tutoring sessions and CP meetings are going to be a struggle, however, Bruno and I did find time to meet today for tutoring...I even taught him the meanings of "crunch time" and "Hell Week." Our session was cut short today because a teacher needed to use the room, but we still got some solid work in. Basically, we talked about his schoolwork this week and his experience with the TOEFL two weeks ago. It didn't go as he'd hoped. Apparently, there are 27 Brazilian students all vying for a chance to go to FSU starting in the Spring. Although he won't get his chance this time around, Bruno is going to keep taking CIES classes. This is great! I love that he is so driven and knows exactly what he wants to do. He told me that even when he graduates from CIES and passes the TOEFL, he hopes to take English classes (as in with other native speakers) along with his regular coursework. This determination is very admirable, in my opinion. We went over some of his assignments from the last two weeks, including a reading/listening assignment of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech. Key words and phrases were highlighted throughout the transcript, and the students were supposed to find the definitions of words they didn't know. Bruno also showed me his reading log for last week. I was not surprised by how detailed it was with readings about engineering or other sciences; I can tell he likes to learn and actively seeks interesting books and articles. We ended the session by just talking and catching up since we hadn't met for over two weeks. We planned to meet twice more, once on Friday and once next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment