Sunday, December 8, 2013

David_TP#8

Today before we started the lesson, I was talking with them about my class that I was going to be teaching. They were interested, and asked if we could talk about that for the session. Seeing as we had been working on conversation earlier, I felt that this topic would do well to reinforce that. I started off by telling them about some common American superstitions and beliefs. I used this to build schema, as well as model what it actually was just in case some of them were confused about what it was.

 After talking a little and answering questions, I asked them to tell me about some of the superstitions that are found in their countries. Seeing as all of them are from the same place, they all came up with much of the same things. It was good for vocabulary as well. One of them was talking about when not to clip your nails, and he used the verb “to cut,” and I explained how we used a different verb for that, and explained what else it could be used with. There were several of these situations, and before correcting them, I would say the sentence back to them, except using the right grammar forms. I didn't correct them right away all the time. I have started getting a feel for how far along they are, so if I think they just made a mistake, I would correct them. On the other hand, if they made an error, I would wait till the conversation was over and go around explaining what they said, and what the right form is. I also wrote some of the common mistakes down, and they copied what I wrote. This way they can keep a log of things to look out for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment